Wednesday, October 12, 2011


I would swallow my pride,
I would choke on the rinds,
but the lack thereof would leave me empty inside,
swallow my doubt
turn it inside out
find nothing but faith in nothing.

At some point in my life, I suppose, I’m going to have faith.  Just shut up and do it.  Trust my body to do what it is going to do.  If it crash and burns, that too will teach me something.

After work on Friday, I went down to the gym beneath my building and changed into my clothes.  it was around 4:30-ish by the time I hit the street.  I was hoping to be done with my workout by 6 PM.  It’s hard (for me) to do a Friday workout.  No sense in prolonging the pain longer than necessary.

I took it easy climbing the hill from my office, giving my permission to get thoroughly warmed up.  See.  I am learning something.  By the time I crossed Powers Ferry Road and entered the park, it was time to hit up the rest rooms.  Yes.  Another delaying tactic.  I had about 0.15 miles to finish my warm up, and when the Garmin buzzed, I took off at speed.

The 310XT reported my pace at 6:30-ish per mile.  I laughed.  My goal pace was sub-9 for 8 miles, not 5K pace.  I reigned myself in and watched my pace climb up to eight and a half.  I knew the euphoria of the start would wear off, and reality would begin to weigh me down like a ball and chain.  As the first mile clicked off, the negotiations began.

If I can hold this for six miles, I’ll be happy.

Five.  Five would be good.

Nah.  I can do them all, but I might take the last two miles easy.

I felt that particular spot in my mind harden with resolve.  My legs felt good through the halfway point.  I wanted to push to miles seven and see how I felt.  Sure enough.  At mile seven, it started to get hard.  Really hard.  I held on for the half mile back into the park, then turned down the crushed gravel path along the river.  In my mind, I believed that I could do anything for a mile, and I did.  I all but collapsed when I reached the far end of park.

The water from the water fountain never tasted so good.  I took it quite easy climbing the hills out of the park, and I thoroughly enjoyed my slow downhill jog back to the office.  I was totally spent.  So much so that Dee Dee asked me if I was OK talking to her on the phone.  I was more than OK.  I was golden.

The next day, we piled in the car and headed for Statesboro, Georgia to visit my oldest son in college.  We attended a pretty awesome game of football between Georgia Southern and Chattanooga before driving the rest of the way into Savannah.  We booked a hotel room, site unseen, on Priceline and ended up in the Westin Resort across the river.  The hotel was amazing.  The ferried us across the river for a fabulous dinner, then back again when it was over.  I slept real good that night.

The maid woke us up at 8:30-ish.  We forgot to hang the little sign on the door.  No worries for me.  I wanted to break my new K-swiss shoes in on my four mile run.  The first thing I noticed as I ran around the resort were signs with “RunWestin” on them with mile markers.  Evidently, this was 2.5 mile loop through the golf course.  To add the extra 1.5 miles, I ran back towards the interstate.  There, I saw signs hanging from the light posts that said “Welcome Runners!”, and I laughed, pretending they were just for me.  Little wet white signs hung limply from poles.  I could make out “5K Parking” above the arrows.  I finished up my 4 mile run back at the hotel, just as it was starting to rain.

We dropped Jimmy back off in Statesboro before driving home.  The next morning, I woke up at my usual time to drop Matthew off at school.  Once I had that accomplished, I headed straight to the Silver Comet Trail for my twenty mile run.  My legs were feeling very sluggish, but I again surprised myself with another solid long run.  My time was just about the same as my last 20 miler, but this run had more elevation.  I also managed to nail my nutrition and hydration, which is always a good thing.

With one more long run on the schedule, a 22 miler, I’m looking forward to an “easier” week.  Never in my wildest dreams would I have believed an easier week for me would be 46 miles of feet pounding fun, but this is marathon training.



it's all about pace said...

I'm enjoying following your progress

Jess said...

What is that dang song?! I know it, but can't think of it!

Good luck with your "easy week" next week!

Scott Keeps Running said...

it's been a fun journey hasn't it, to get to a point were 46 is the easy week. :)

Michelle said...

Sounds like things are coming along very nicely!

Lisa said...

Everything is coming together for you!

Carolina John said...

I have faith that one day you'll stop listening to Nickelback. Leave that for the real rednecks to blare from their camaro's.

and friends don't let friends let their kids go to Georgia Southern. Come on man. Not when Appalachian State has won three national championships.

Sounds like you had a fun weekend though.

Colleen said...

You are on track for greatness! :) Good luck with the "easy" week!

MAJ said...

Love, love, LOVE this one :) I am really excited to hear how it all turns out.

iJuls said...

and well written too.

Stuart said...

Easy is all relative right!

Jess said...

Sounds like quite a nice hotel and extra convenient that the miles happened to be marked for you.

Enjoy your easy week!

Freementia said...

Wanna put my tender heart in a blender, watch it spin around like a beautiful oblivion...

Great song choice. That CD is still on my top 10 list. You are my hero Wes. Your blog makes me want to work harder and harder. Between you, Craig Alexander, and Andy Potts, I have some of the best role models in the triathlon world.