Monday, October 18, 2010

Big Bike Week

Poor, poor Aerowyn…  I had plans for her.  Once Dee Dee and I managed to come up for air, I would purchase a better (note:  not “real”, as Aerowyn was more a tri-bike than half of the bikes you’ll see at most races) tri-bike and turn Aerowyn back into a roadie.  Alas, it was not meant to be.  Aerowyn has been salvaged for parts and now sits in some lonely dumpster somewhere.

After my long ride on Monday, I managed to sneak in a fitting with my most expert ever-ist bike guru Curtis at The Sports Factory.  We had discussed the possibility of fitting me to the 54 cm bike, and we had agreed that we would give it our best shot.  After maxing out the seat height and putting in an extended stem, it was obvious that the bike was just too small.  This was a total bummer for me, cuz the bike is such a sweet ride. 

I took the bike home and emailed Brian, explaining to him that I would not be purchasing his bike.  He graciously agreed to let me keep it over the weekend, while I figured out what I was going to do.  This helped tremendously with my ability to keep up with my training.

With my first century of the year in the books, I was totally focused on recovery, in anticipation of doing my longest run of the year on Thursday.  Dee Dee took care of parenting responsibilities so that I could get my long run in after work.  Have I mentioned that she’s singularly awesome?

Despite feeling a little iffy, I wanted to push myself a bit and enjoy the awesomeness that is the flatness of the Chattahoochee Park.  I decided to separate my runs into 4 mile intervals, increasing my pace as I went.  What every time I had left, I would just run at whatever pace I felt like.  My average mile splits came in at 10:30, 10:15, and 10:00 minute miles respectively.  That’s a solid run for me, and I managed 14 miles in total.

I won’t bore you with the details, but Friday’s long swim was accomplished at 8:00 PM at night.  I was definitely starting to feel tired, and I struggled to hold race pace for my 6x400 meter intervals.  I got it done though, and that is what counts. Consistency.

Saturday morning, Dee Dee got up at 4:30 AM to get ready for work, as she usually does, only this time, I couldn’t get back to sleep.  I finally surrendered at 6:00 AM.  I got up, made coffee and ate breakfast.  I wanted to get out onto the Silver Comet Trail by 9 AM-ish or so in order to make it back to the house in time to take Matthew to his game.  Temperatures were hovering in the low 40’s, and I was undecided what to wear.  I finally settled on tights, arm warmers, and two shirts.  It was supposed to warm up into the 60’s.  I decided that if I was gonna be too cold for the first part of the ride, then so be it.

The ride itself was pretty uneventful.  I got a bit cold and wind burned on my face and lips.  With the loaner bike, I managed to push myself out to the forty mile mark before turning around and heading home.  It’s funny that my Garmin keeps a more accurate account of the mileage on my wrist than it ever did mounted on the stem.  I felt that familiar bonk feeling in my legs about 8-10 miles from home, so I knew the ride was a good one.  I did 80 miles in 4.5 hours.  Still, I’m a bit short of my goal of getting to 85 miles in the same time frame.

Fortunately for me, Sunday was destined to be a bit warmer.  I was able to ditch the tights and the arm warmers at the half way mark.  I rode out to the lake past the twenty-five mile marker, cuz that’s where the Garmin tells me the 25 mile point is.  I decided to go ahead and turn around there, rather than riding the extra 4-5 minutes to get to 1.5 hours.  I should have gone ahead and done it.

At the Tara Drummond Trail Head, I stopped to use the facilities, eat, and fill my water bottle.  A very tall older gentleman pulled into the trail head as I was wrapping up.  I had spoken to him on the way out, but his long legs and superior pace left me behind.  He told me that he had pushed out too hard and that he would ride back with me.  After riding together for about five miles, I introduced myself.  He said his name was Bob.

It was great having company for the return trip.  Bob pushed me harder than I would have pushed myself, but obviously we kept it within my limits.  We came home 15 minutes faster than we went out.  At one point, there’s a downhill portion of the trail near the end, and Bob took off and I got in behind his admittedly huge draft :-)  I looked at my Garmin and we were pushing 26 mph for a mile or so.  What a blast that was!  At the end of the trail, we said our good byes and he split off to his car, and I to mine.

Four hours of reffing soccer wrapped up a 21+ hour training week for me.  That’s huge, but most of it was admittedly bike time.  I swam twice, ran three times, and biked three times.  My bike mileage topped out at 230 miles for the week.

It’s hard for me to believe that I am five weeks out from the big day now.  Two more big weeks, then the taper begins.  I still have much work to do!

Happy Monday, peeps!



Lily on the Road said...

Happy Monday to you too!

Just catching up and I'm so very sorry to read about Aerowyn!! Yikes, luckily no one was hurt!
There is no way a 54cm would fit you, glad your guru knows this and will find something else.

Nick said...

That's some serious big volume Wes ... keep up the hard work!

LBTEPA said...

It's getting exciting now!

Lisa said...

Wow, for someone without a bike, you're getting some serious ironman training (cycling included) done.

Eyes on the prize... :-)

Jess said...

Poor Aerowyn!

What a week Wes! The big day will be here before you know it!

Michelle said...

That is a seriously big bike week! Awesome that they let you keep the bike for the weekend!

Julie said...

Hi Wes,
Holy cow, just two more weeks until the big taper!?! Nice job this week:) Take care and keep smiling!

Jennifer Harrison said...

Hey Wes!!
You are doing some serious training! It is getting very exciting now - soon! Keep up the good work! :)

My Life and Running said...

I like that 230! You're doing so awesome with your training!

Jess said...

Only five weeks away from the big event, wow I didn't realize it was sneaking up so soon! What an awesome week of training you had especially those bike numbers!

Mike Russell said...

Wes your work is mostly done. You are gong to rock it pal...