Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Tri Normalcy: Dead Ahead

Day 10 sans Teh Bug

I'm getting tired of doing this, I said to myself this morning, as I got out of bed.

I was surprised and bit shocked that I let such a negative thought INTO my mind, much less express itself out loud. It had been the first night in a while that I had actually slept the night through without waking up. Some nights, its my running nose. Other nights, Mufasa wants out of his cage for a drink of water. Other nights, I hear dead people...

The good news, no doubt, is that my hour long trainer ride contributed to general feelings of wellness. It was another banner/busy afternoon for me. Being a single parent is HARD. I always had the greatest respect for my mother and what she went through when I was a child. It deepens with every passing year.

On the way home from work, I made a quick stop at the grocery store for dinner. I threw the groceries on the counter at home and grabbed Sierra to take her to the vet. She's been having this thing with her paw, and I got tired of looking at her limping. The vet couldn't find anything wrong with her and recommended bed rest.

Mongolian Beef was what's for dinner at my house last night. It's pretty quick and easy. The hard part is cutting up the flank steak. By 7:30, the dishes were clean and I was actually sitting on the couch perusing the latest issue of Tri Magazine. American Idol was just getting ready to come on when Matthew asked me to throw the football with him in the front yard.

What's with these kids these days? Does he not know I have a trainer ride to do? AMERICAN IDOL WAS ON TV! Ah, the sacrifices we make for our children.

After pummeling him with the football for fifteen to twenty minutes, I finally got back inside and onto the trainer. I picked an endurance workout from my book, warmed up for the standard fifteen minutes, then did 6x5 minutes in Zones 2-3 with a 2 minute rest interval. I actually added two extra intervals to get to an hour of riding time. At first, I thought my poor thighs were going to hold me back, but after the first interval, I had no issues. I was able to grind out the rest of the workout and nailed the recommended intensity.

The load of laundry upstairs called to me after hopping off the trainer. I don't like wrinkles, and the clothes had been sitting for a few minutes. By the time I was done, it was too late for a run off, and I decided to hold off until Thursday for my brick.

Thank you all so much for keeping Dee Dee's mom and our family in your prayers. Nana suffered a setback yesterday, but we are still holding out hope for her recovery.

The 2600 yards I did in the pool this morning were glorious. I rarely, if ever have a bad swim. There's just something about a good morning swim that kick starts the day. I just wish I wasn't such a night person!

Happy hump day, y'all!



Lily on the Road said...

Nana, Dee Dee, you and the kids are in my thoughts and prayers. I am always in awe of single parents (even temporary single parents), my hat goes off to you.

Kim said...

aw lots of prayers and hugs for you, dee dee and the family. hang in there, youre doing great managing everything!

teacherwoman said...

Still thinking about Dee Dee and the rest of you guys. *hugs*

You are still rocking your training despite everything else going on! And I agree, there's nothing better than an early morning swim... and I AM a morning person!

Scott Keeps Running said...

Kids these days...sheesh.

"I hear dead people..." :)

Jess said...

Keeping your family in my thoughts! Way to manage to fit training in with everything going on!

Andy said...

Thanks for the mid-week wishes!

Snot Faucet ;)

Sending good vibes to Dee Dee and her family, as well as you! Dang your kid for wanting to play outside!!!! Need to hook up with you via phone or email and find out your plans for Rev3 (as well as Sarah).

Hope the rest of your week goes well!

Jess said...

What a good dad you are for going out there to toss the 'ole pigskin around with your son! "Dad of the Year" for you!

LBTEPA said...

thinking of you both - and as always, DEEPLY impressed by your dedication to training!

Michelle said...

You are an amazing dad, putting your kids ahead of Idol : )

Stef said...

Good on you Wes! Handling all of that stuff PLUS laundry! I was thinking this morning that a one hour ride still feels pretty doable, dare I say short. Hope you were able to tape idol, or dvr it, or tivo . . . .

Thanks to Dee Dee for getting on FB and asking for prayers. Your whole family is in my thoughts and heart.

challenges2010 said...

Hello Wes,
Been awhile since I've stopped in. I use to follow you 3 years ago from my old blog "A Lot to Lose". I always enjoyed your blog and comments back then. Feel bad I pretty much dropped out without saying anything.Sorry!

Also sorry to read about Dee's mom. Like the rest I'll hope for a speedy recovery.

I'm back at it again. Weight loss,riding running and probably swimming again. That's why I find myself at your doorstep today. I realized after my second ride in 3 years yesterday I need a new bike seat or padded bike shorts. Knew you did a review on a seat so came back to check it out. Have you tried padded shorts? Would you recommend getting both or just one or the other?


Julie said...

Hi Wes,
I am so sorry for Nan's setback. Keeping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.